Spaghetti with chilli prawns

I have a new application of the Pareto principle, the notion that 80% of effects come from 20% of causes: to find 80% of the groceries in the supermarket, you spend 20% of the time. The remaining 80% of the time you spend tracking down those few exotic ingredients such as vanilla pods, condensed milk, and, if you are as lucky as I was today, spaghetti.

Today’s dinner was inspired by a show we watched over the weekend, where Lorraine Pascale was teaching a young mother how to cook food from scratch. The recipe itself is from the latest issue of BBC Good Food magazine.

Because the recipes from the latest issue of the magazine are not yet available online, I will write the recipe here, and include a couple of my own tweaks.

Spaghetti with chilli prawns, chorizo, and gremolata breadcrumbs.

Spaghetti with chilli prawns, chorizo, and gremolata breadcrumbs.

Ingredients (for two portions):

3 tbsp olive oil
1 chilli, seeds in the trash, sliced
5 garlic cloves (the original recipe asks for one and a half. wimps.)
10 slices chorizo
150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
200 g spaghetti (or bucatini, if you can find it in your supermarket within 10 min; otherwise give up)
220 g large raw prawns, shells removed

For the breadcrumbs:

4 tbsp of ground bread
chopped parsley, loads
zest of one lemon

onion sprouts, optional

  1. Heat the oven to 200 C. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of the oil. Add the chilli and almost all of the garlic (save 1 tbsp for the breadcrumbs) and sauté until golden. Add the chorizo, and stir for 1 min. Tip in the tomatoes, a pinch of salt and sauté for a further 10 minutes.
  2. Tip the breadcrumbs into a baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and bake for 7 min. Toss the remaining garlic and bake for a further 3 min. Remove from the oven and add the parsley and the lemon zest.
  3. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. A few minutes before the pasta is ready, add the prawns to the sauce. Drain the pasta and mix withe the sauce, then sprinkle with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
  4. For a fancy touch, add some onion sprouts on the top.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s